Monday, March 14, 2011

My little black book


As I careen towards my departure date, I continue to work through the myriad of tasks I have to accomplish before moving to the other side of the earth (literally).  Picking up my diplomatic passport was just another errand on the checklist, but it felt anything but routine.  In fact, I had a visceral response - I could feel my stomach drop a little.  I'm so glad to be here, I'm proud of what I'm doing, and I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to do it.  The black passport is a tangible marker of that intangible feeling which I struggle to put into words.  It's a reminder that I'm a U.S. diplomat, I worked hard to get that title, and I feel both exhilarated and humble all at once.  I can't believe this is my life now.

2 comments:

  1. I am a geek...I love the line inside about the bearer of the passport being on a diplomatic mission for the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. who doesn't? and people appreciate the work behind "managing" a black passport... imagine now, globetrotting with, let's say... 14 passports for your family of 5?

    ReplyDelete